Hello! Making a #flatlay photo is actually very challenging! It is how you take photos from above (bird eye level) without making that annoying shadow of yourself ;D You can see hashtag #flatlay to see other references on Instagram!
I started to begin this new excitement when i saw beautiful photos of daily essentials on Instagram. Some bloggers or insta-celeb also capture interesting things and their feeds are awesome! Below are my own photo, take a look! :D
- Chinese New Year 2015 Mood -
- Samyang Spicy Korean Noodle for Lunch -
So i decided to learn how to make a #flatlay photography. So i learn that:
1. Find any monochrome backdrop/ background. White looks best! It could be bed sheet, white surfaced table, floor, etc.
2. Take your pictures on dayligh or at noon around 4 PM- 6 PM. 12 AM's sun is way too bright (and hot of course)!
3. Decide what items you wan't to capture. It can be your daily essential, your favorite food, your hobby related stuffs, and so on.
4. Arrange the stuffs nicely, the proposition has to be correct and you MUST pay attention to details. 1 centimeter is very relevant here in this case, what you see through your eyes CAN BE VERY DIFFERENT through the lense of your camera.
5. Test shoot is a mandatory. After you arrange the stuffs nicely and tidily, you can start to capture. Make sure your camera's ISO is correct and the lighting is soft; do not take pictures under direct sunlight because the result will be too bright/ too dark. You can take the pictures near the window for example.
6. Keep the photo ambience clean and neat. Watch your backdrop (especially when you use fabric), is it crumpled? It is still okay if your fabric is crump0ling, sometimes it adds more attractiveness too. Just make sure the fabric is not distracting the image.
7. Yet, just take the stuffs that are essentials, no need to throw all your fave stuffs in one frame.
8. Capture the #flatlay in many shots and many angles so at the end you can pick the best and the one you like the most.
- Bourbon Eatery and Coffee's Food! -
- Baked Bread with Chocolate and Cheese Topping -
Above are the #flatlay photos with random backgrounds. I took the photos on the table when we were gonna eat (ya, Instagrammer's problem: having their food cold ;') ) Same tips, just make sure you have enough light and a good arrangement!
You can edit the picture using VSCO cam application for Android or IOS. if you like Adobe Photoshop, you should do it! Adobe Photoshop has rich tools to be played around! ;)
- Dill Gourmet's Cakes and Pies! -
- Valentine Mood with Cute Items -
For more #flatlay pictures, i posted them on my Instagram account (@thelmakisela)
I am still learning though, hope everyone who reads this post is enjoying his/ her time and get inspired! Any question that come across your mind, please drop your question below on the comment box ;)